The Society or Institution for the Blind as it was originally known was founded by Mr. Joe Kaye in 1918 to help blind people of the district earn their own livelihood and to enable them to improve their social conditions.
Later that year Mr. Arthur Hirst offered Highfield House to the Society and this was used as a hostel. It was on 1st January 1920 that the Society became recognised by the Ministry of Health as an agency for the welfare of the Blind.
From those humble beginnings change has taken place and the Society has progressed.
After many years searching for new premises in 1999 the Society managed to secure European funding, which has enabled The Whitfield Centre to be extended and completely renovated.
In 2015 the Society decided to diversify into the Whitfield Wellbeing Centre after receiving funding from Kirklees Council to provide an integral service in response to community needs by offering a more generic range of services aimed at all types of vulnerable people in the community.